Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Dear Patrick

Dear Patrick,

Two years ago I signed up to run a marathon in your honor. I wanted to show you that I stand with you in your fight with Type 1 diabetes. I wanted you to see that you are not alone. I wanted to raise money and awareness for the disease.

Fifteen years ago, you were diagnosed with a disease that runs in our family. I remember the day that you told me. I cried because as a medic in the military, I understood what you were up against. My medical training crossed paths with diabetic Sailors and Marines who were struggling to keep their insulin levels in check. I gave them shots. I showed them how to give the shots to themselves. Fifteen years ago you told me that you were T1 and I knew the struggles that you would endure. I heard your wife talk about your seizures in the middle of the night. She would have to get your insulin pen and inject you to regulate your blood sugar. I heard you talk about counting carbohydrates. I was so amazed at how simply you calculated how many beers you could drink. I loved that you figured that into your sugar counts. I love that you still do everything better than me, even though you are the "sick" one. You run faster than me. You are smarter than me. You are far wittier than I will ever be.

For 35 years, you have been my big brother. You were annoyed with me when we were in school. You kind of liked me when I came back from the military. Now we are as thick as thieves. I married your best friend. I have always squished our faces together to prove to people that we look almost identical. We are basically twins born 13 months apart. I would murder someone for you. I am dedicating my biggest physical feats to you.

See? We really do look like twins! 

Running and I haven't always gotten along. I have ran multiple half marathons and always dreamed of a full marathon. But let's be honest. I don't have that in my legs. Not right now, anyway. After some long thinking and talking with Mister, I have decided to forego my place in the Marine Corps Marathon. Here are my reasons:

1- I suck at running. Maybe some day I can actually get back into long distance shape, but I have too much stuff on my plate to dedicate the proper amount of time to training.
2- I would be traveling alone. I have never been to DC and traveling alone to a new city terrifies me.
3- I would be crossing the finish line alone. What a terrible feeling to cross the biggest finish line of my life and not have Mister there to congratulate me! I cannot imagine that.

I started this journey almost two years ago. I created a pretty cool hashtag. I had shirts made up. I promised people, you in particular, that I would cross the finish line of a marathon. I am not going to turn that into a lie. Or a broken promise. I am going to honor you in some way or another. It just isn't going to be the Marine Corps Marathon. Here is my plan:

1- Keep rockin' the #imrunningforpat and cross the finish line of Rock n Roll Chicago half marathon. (I am totally capable of half-marathon distance with minimal training. I've done it twice before.)
2- Cross the finish line of a long distance bike ride. I have some ideas for which ride, but I need to do some more research before announcing it. A 6 hour run could cover 26.2 miles. A 6 hour bike ride could cover almost 100 miles. More miles = More work =  More dedication
3- Continue raising money and awareness for Type 1 diabetes.

Maybe I can even talk you into coming on a bike ride with me. How cool would that be? Maybe we can get Joey, our other brother, to join too! Make it a Baker Sibling Bike Ride to raise awareness for T1 diabetes.

Either way, I hope you aren't disappointed in me for dropping out of the marathon. I am going to do something epic in your honor. I just need to find the right event for me. I love ya, big brother.

Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment